- Beat the egg whites in the earthenware bowl until stiff.
- Combine the yolks in the round-bottomed bowl and gently fold in the whites.
- A little at a time (to avoid lumps), mix in the flour and the baking powder.
- Grate in the ½ zest of lemon.
- Grease the Madeleine baking tray with butter and give it a light sprinkling of flour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
- Place a generous spoonful of the mix in each trough.
Place in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes (OVEN AT 200°C, FAN OFF)
DURING THE FINAL MINUTES OF BAKING, KEEP AN EYE ON THE CAKES TO MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT DRY OUT.
REMOVE THE MADELEINES FROM THE TRAY AS SOON AS THEY ARE OUT OF THE OVEN.